Glycolic Acid? Sounds kind of scary at first — is it really something I might find in my skin care products? Glycolic acid is actually completely safe. It has been tested in scientific studies with proven abilities to rejuvenate your skin while also promoting the production of collagen and elastin in the lower layers of your skin. This natural compound is found in the sugar cane plant. Scientist and dermatologist say that its smaller molecular structure is key to its ability to penetrate the lower layers of this skin.
This essential additive is part of the Alpha Hydroxy Acid (or AHA) family, which are found in apples, wine grapes, sour milk, oranges, and sugar cane. AHA's all share a few common traits. When it comes to skin care, when they are applied to the skin, they get to work by:
- Exfoliating the outer layer of skin and loosening the mixture of dead skin, oil, and dirt that rests on top.
- Unclogging and uprooting oil and sebum build up in the deeper areas of your pores.
- Penetrating deep into the dermal layer of your skin, stimulating the regeneration of collagen and elastin cells as well as glycoaminoglycans (moisture retaining molecules).
The main purpose of glycolic acid is to clean and polish away the outer layers of your skin — something that’s beneficial for all skin types.
Glycolic acid skin care products can help with the following beaty concerns:
- Dry skin and ashiness
- Oily, acne prone skin
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Skin texture and smoothness
- Pigmentation and dark spots
- Beard bumps and ingrown hairs